POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Pausing processes between reboots : Re: Pausing processes between reboots Server Time
17 May 2024 01:45:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Pausing processes between reboots
From: clipka
Date: 7 Jun 2009 09:30:01
Message: <web.4a2bbf6d800c7d16a18a93d0@news.povray.org>
"Valerij Rozouvan" <val### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> I want to pause a process, reboot my computer, and continue running that
> processes. Is it possible?

Generally speaking, the answer is a definite "No".

However, speaking of POV-Ray in particular, you can abort a render, and resume
it later using the +C command line option (make sure all other options are the
same).

Make sure to try it on a quick render first though ;). Also make sure you
specify exactly the same parameters aside from the +C option.

Note that in the POV-Ray 3.7 beta, +C may not yet work properly when using
certain features; for instance, Radiosity will probably require you to
explicitly specify a sample cache file using the new "Radiosity_File_Name",
"Radiosity_To_File" and/or "Radiosity_From_File" options for now.

> For example rendering a large POV-Ray render job can
> take weeks, if not months. So it would be beneficial to be able to turn off your
> computer temporarily (for whatever reason).

How about one of those energy-saving standby modes? Maybe suspend-to-disk is
sufficiently close to what you want. (Don't know whether Linux supports it; but
given that Windows does, Linux should be perfectly capable of such stunts as
well, right? :P)