POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Another DF3 oddity / quadrants not showing : Re: Another DF3 oddity / quadrants not showing Server Time
28 Jul 2024 12:33:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Another DF3 oddity / quadrants not showing
From: clipka
Date: 3 Jun 2009 18:00:01
Message: <web.4a26f1f31ee91cc1181d7960@news.povray.org>
"JeffBTX" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> BUT if I define the container as:
>
> box { <-0.5,-0.5,-0.5>,<0.5,0.5,0.5> {rgbt 1} hollow
>    (... media with DF3)
> }
>
> .... with no translation, in other words define the 1 unit box as already being
> at the origin, then something very strange happens.

This is for the simple reason that DF3 media does *not* repeat (I guess applying
some suitable repeat-warp would do the trick), nor does it "auto-center" on the
container: It always fills just the unit cube from <0,0,0> to <1,1,1>, and
everything outside is assumed to have the value 0 (even if all voxels in the
DF3 happen to be set to 1.0).

If you specify the box to match the unit cube, specify the media, and *then*
translate the whole smash, the translation will be applied to the media as
well, i.e. "dragging" it with the box, so to speak.

No bug here, and hence not "fixed" in 3.7 either.

Though admittedly it might be worth considering to have DF3 repeat by default,
like with image maps, and instead require the "once" keyword for non-repeating
operation.