POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Experiments with light probes : Re: Experiments with light probes Server Time
20 May 2024 00:07:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Experiments with light probes
From: Trevor G Quayle
Date: 2 Jun 2009 20:40:01
Message: <web.4a25c52f75b7d3c9c67b294d0@news.povray.org>
"Trevor G Quayle" <Tin### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:

> > Here's a pair of angular maps that demonstrate my issue (scaled down to 512x512,
> > but it's still evident). I've marked corresponding pixel locations with red
> > crosses.
> >
> > http://www.infradead.org/~wmp/angular_eg.png
> >
> > It's interesting, now I come to actually look at this in detail, it seems to be
> > most pronounced on the horizontal. This suggests to me that keeping the ball
> > more central will definitely help...
> >
> > Bill
>
> Actually, by the looks of it, I think that the technique I described may help
> for this as there does appear to be lopsided distortion in the rotated image,
> as I would expect from perspective distortion.  Give it a try, let me know if
> you need any help getting it to work.
> What is your ball size to distance ratio?
>
> -tgq

Have a look.  I attempted to deconstruct, unwrap, unrotate your images and apply
the technique I mentioned.  Its not perfect (and I didn't have the original
unrotated image to work with) but the distortion is far less noticeable.  I
added about ~4% to the angular map (+20 pixels to each side of a 1024X1024
image)

-tgq

Post a reply to this message

Attachments: