POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : New camera, or new camera docs illustrations. : Re: New camera, or new camera docs illustrations. Server Time
2 Jun 2024 15:02:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: New camera, or new camera docs illustrations.
From: clipka
Date: 2 Jun 2009 10:00:01
Message: <web.4a2530081369cabff708085d0@news.povray.org>
Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:
>   I'm sorry, but I just disagree with you. The original image composition
> should be preferred over anything else, unless the author *specifically*
> allows other aspect ratios to be used (which he can in the current POV-Ray).

To the contrary, I think that the default behavior should fit an "out of the
box" approach.

To this end, the default would have to fit scenes where *no* thought whatsoever
has been put into aspect ratio - neither from the author, nor from the person
rendering the scene. (Unfortunately, this is not the case.)

If an author has put enough thought into the aspect ratio issue to favor a
particular one, I think it is reasonable to expect from him to *explicitly*
specify this in the scene file in some way or the other.

Therefore, I advocate the original composition should be preferred *only* if the
author specifically *disallows* (or shall we rather say, disocurages) other
aspect ratios. Which, in current POV-Ray, he can do - though I'd agree that a
simpler mechanism to do so would be helpful.

The biggest issue in this area, however, is IMHO the fact that current POV-Ray
has no mechanism whatsoever to detect the difference between a mismatching
screen aspect ratio and a non-square pixel aspect ratio.