POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Free Compilers Vista 64? : Re: Free Compilers Vista 64? Server Time
6 Sep 2024 01:29:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Free Compilers Vista 64?
From: JeffBTX
Date: 31 May 2009 03:55:01
Message: <web.4a2237863b64b8036698c4a30@news.povray.org>
> JeffBTX wrote:
> > .... at first I thought that the headers might be off by -1 (without bothering to
> > recalculate file sizes), but that doesn't work either.
>
> I found it. When it calculated the size, it returned
>     x, y, z, bytes
> instead of
>     maxx, maxy, maxz, bytes
>
> Now the file sizes come out to what they should be.
> Files are all still indexed starting at zero.
>
> http://darren.s3.amazonaws.com/MakeDF3.zip
>
> --
>    Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
>    There's no CD like OCD, there's no CD I knoooow!

Darren;

I just downloaded it and UNZipped it a few minutes ago;

Both test-position.df3 and bigtest.df3 are the proper file size, given the
header info. So Far So Good.

I checked the voxel positions in test-position.df3. They seem to be perfect, the
offsets are what they should be and I verified with a hex editor.

So Far So Good again, congratulations, it seems to be fixed.

test-position.df3 seems to render properly, except that the 4th point; XYZ =
49,98,49 (should be "at the top" of the media cube, centered in X and Z, maxed
in Y) doesn't show up. The calculated offset is 77A16h, and indeed that offset
contains FFh / 255. It just doesn't show up when I render it (?). The other 4
voxels appear to be just fine, they are in the right position and their
relative intensities appear to be correct.

For bigtest.df3, NOTHING shows when I try to render it(?).

I dunno - I am using emission with a color of "White"... (and including
colors.inc) and using a multiplier, such as:
emission White
or
emission White*10
or
emission White*50

.... but that 4th point does not appear from test-position.df3, and bigtest.df3
appears to be just an empty transparent cube when I render it.

Odd!

I wonder (this random thought just hit me)... I wonder if voxel info from DF3's
is considered to be *SIGNED* data in POVRay (3.6.1c)? But only sometimes, for 8
bit DF3's? Why does just the 4th point not show up? That might be a clue for
bigtest.df3 appearing to be empty, if voxel values for 32 bit DF3s is
considered to be *signed data*, and POVray is seeing "negative voxels"...
dunno, I haven't looked at any of the voxel info in bigtest.df3 yet.

Also... I am noticing weird things happening with voxels at corners / edges /
faces in any case... I am dialoging on this in two other threads (New Users and
Binaries - > Images). I haven't checked for recent feedback in those sections
just yet...

I will experiment some more.