POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : New camera, or new camera docs illustrations. : Re: New camera, or new camera docs illustrations. Server Time
26 Jun 2024 01:23:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: New camera, or new camera docs illustrations.
From: gregjohn
Date: 30 May 2009 09:10:00
Message: <web.4a212fc31369cabf34d207310@news.povray.org>
Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:

>   So my question stands: Why can't you do the exact same thing with a
> povray-generated image as you would do with a photo?

I have published products at zazzle.com where I have povray generate the white
border around the image. Some of these are 1:1, some are 2:1.  It soon becomes
a labor-saving device when you generate 100 of these products. Before you call
me petty, I've sold about a dozen of them.

If the docs were to empower someone to understand the camera, none of this
discussion would be necessary-- it wouldn't have been started by me! :)  The
docs fail because they don't teach someone how to create an object that
precisely covers the screen, regardless of pixel aspect ratio or camera angle.
Once I figured out how to do it, I wondered if it were a cleanly written
algorithm. 4:3 is the tripping point.

Again, I'd say let's step back from the issue of forcing the developers to go
rewrite povray.  One thing that troubles me in this discussion is the concept
that there are petty uses of povray, that povray is only for certain noble
tasks. Don't worry about anything that could also be done by mouse-dragging in
photoshop (like cropping to get certain aspect ratios-- imagine doing THAT for
a 2000-frame animation!!!)  Suppose I were able to find an animation contest
(didn't in 5 m of googling) that required non 4:3 aspect ratio.  Would you say
povray is not for professional animation contests?  When you critique a
critique of the current system, think BIG, not small.