POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Pixar finally slips into Uncanny Valley : Pixar finally slips into Uncanny Valley Server Time
5 Sep 2024 19:27:12 EDT (-0400)
  Pixar finally slips into Uncanny Valley
From: gregjohn
Date: 30 May 2009 08:15:00
Message: <web.4a2122ecdcab99f834d207310@news.povray.org>
Pixar's work was always the coolest to me because I thought it successfully
stood atop the "stylized" peak right before the Uncanny Valley.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncanny_valley

*micro spoiler alert*

There are dog crowd scenes in the movie.  They have one main character dog who
is very stylized in construction (and featured in the TV commercials).  But
there is a plot conflict between this dog and a crowd of other dogs, many of
which are much more photo-realistically constructed.

When there's one photo-realistic dog on the screen, emoting, it seems pretty
cool. But there are scenes when they show a dozen, and because they are
photorealistic, they look like zombies. I think there are both creepily
over-acting dogs and creepily wooden dogs in a few very short scenes in the
movie.

There was a young man who was something of a child prodigy in making character
animation with Hash Animation:Master.  He started out making some very cool
cartoony figures, but as his skill and the features of the software increased,
he made things more and more realistic. Eventually it got kind of creepy to see
a fully-furred male dog standing up.