POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Free Compilers Vista 64? : Re: Free Compilers Vista 64? Server Time
5 Sep 2024 19:25:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Free Compilers Vista 64?
From: JeffBTX
Date: 29 May 2009 03:55:00
Message: <web.4a1f94083b64b80364d5e6a0@news.povray.org>
"scott" <sco### [at] scottcom> wrote:
> > I've checked on Microsoft Visual C++ Express. Free, but you have to
> > register it
> > (to use it past 30 days), and to register it you need a "Microsoft Live
> > ID". (I
> > hate to keep track of those things). Apparantly, there are occasional
> > problems
> > UNinstalling the product in Vista. The online readme has a "Known Bugs"
> > section. I hate bugs... we ALL hate bugs. "Known" bugs? EXECUTE them (no I
> > don't mean "run" them... I mean use the headsman's AXE! There shouldn't be
> > any
> > "KNOWN" bugs!)
>
> Been using the MS free C++ compiler for a while now, even converted over
> some projects that used to be on the the full VS Pro compiler.  Never had
> any issue with bugs and have written a wide range of apps from moderately
> complex .net form based to 3D games in DirectX.
>
> Once you've activated VC++ Express you never have to log in again to Live,
> so just create an account and then forget about it if you don't like to keep
> track of such things.
>
> > Failing that... again, if anyone is equipped to do so, maybe someone could
> > build
> > these two apps? (I indicated 2 major functions; 1 to create a DF3, one to
> > manipulate it, but there isn't any reason these two things couldn't be in
> > the
> > same app).
>
> I would attempt this, but a) I have almost zero free-time at the moment due
> to work, and b) if I did attempt it I would end up making it far too complex
> with a nice GUI, hmm I wonder how big a DF3 you can render in real time on
> the GPU... :-)

Scott - thats good news... I dialogued with a programmer in a games forum, and
he indicated the same thing a few minutes ago. Just to verify: you are using
VC++Express under WinVista? (and if it matters, I am using WinVista Home
Premium 64 bit).

There is something in the MSDN forums about problems UNinstalling VC++Express
under Vista. Possibly (hopefully) a rare problem.

Okay then, I will dig further into the MSDN forums, and educate myself (bugs,
problems, work-around, etc) before I decide... looks like I juts might end uop
downloading & installing it.

-Thanks
-Jeff