POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Why semantic search reeks : Why semantic search reeks Server Time
9 Oct 2024 02:31:17 EDT (-0400)
  Why semantic search reeks
From: gregjohn
Date: 26 May 2009 18:40:00
Message: <web.4a1c6f626b94f33f34d207310@news.povray.org>
Can anyone figure out how to google up the example files for shapes.inc, which
will tell me the syntax for using Rounded_Box_Things?

Of course, there probably isn't a Rounded_Box_Thing, but I want the syntax for
whatever there IS.  I have instead found a whole lot of incorporated companies
with the word "Shape" in their name.

I think that this shows why I hate semantic search.  The computer assumes all
the other things you could possibly want besides what you typed in verbatim,
and goes to dig them up.  Once I had a "buzzing" sound in my PS/3.  Searching
for "buzzing" sound and PS/3 brought up hundreds of entries for some service or
website called "Sony Buzz".

I think I need searches to be more literal, and less semantic.  Anyone know of a
way to make google more literalistic, or have a better search engine?