POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Requesting ideas/opinions for RNG seeding syntax : Re: Requesting ideas/opinions for RNG seeding syntax Server Time
30 Jul 2024 18:23:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Requesting ideas/opinions for RNG seeding syntax
From: Phoenex
Date: 26 May 2009 14:30:00
Message: <web.4a1c340a38187d7e2f41bbd10@news.povray.org>
To Jay Fox

With a speed of 5 seconds to generate random 1000000000 numbers is needed more
than 1 year and six months to sweep sequentially (0.0000000000000001 to
0.9999999999999999) a period of 2^53 or about 10^16 with a computer to work
without stopping.

How?

5 sec * (1E16) / 1E9 / 3600 / 24 / 365 = 1.585489599 years

It is a long time working.

Another example:

If each number occupying one micrometer then the whole period is 10^16
micrometers or 10000000 km, a long distance.

However, as the generation of numbers is not sequential, it is natural
that after a generation over a year never runs some numbers and other will be
repeated.
Precisely what happens in the real world random.

So I still say that the importance of the size of the period is a question of
need in each case.

If this is the case with POVRay, then I fully agree with you, because I do not
know the POVRay and do not know which their needs.

If the POVRay works with integers, then it is better in fact a good random
number generator with integers.
The numbers generated by PRNGAlvo need to be converted in integers, and as such
it takes time to be consumed at work.

The algorithm PRNGAlvo was put in this discussion, always with an attitude of
helping, and to receive critics about it.