POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : Feature request: nonlinear scaling : Re: Feature request: nonlinear scaling Server Time
26 Apr 2024 18:29:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Feature request: nonlinear scaling
From: clipka
Date: 22 May 2009 13:20:01
Message: <web.4a16de08366f124692f9e9e10@news.povray.org>
"philguy" <phi### [at] googlemailcom> wrote:
> Why "feature request"? If you render the above, you will see black artifacts on
> the cylinder. Even increasing delta_y to ever so minute amounts will not
> eliminate these (but parsing times soar). So it would be neat-o if there were
> some way of "optimizing" that, just like the difference between placing a
> million spheres and the sphere sweep.

The problem here is that while a sphere sweep can be represented by
(comparatively) nice and straightforward math, this is not the case for
arbitrary CSG objects.

To do this smoothly for an arbitrary shape, there's only one answer.

You won't like it.

The answer is "Isosurface".

> Alternatively, is there any other way to achieve something like this? Or maybe
> reduce the spots? I am aware that povray programm(ing/er) time is scarce and
> precious, but maybe somebody has a flash of genius :) Or just share your
> thoughts on this.

As long as you're not scaling, but just translating the slices, you should get
superior results by shearing them, in such a manner that the "cut surfaces"
coincide again.

Of course this only work for translation, not for scaling or rotation of the
individual slices.