POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Requesting ideas/opinions for RNG seeding syntax : Re: Requesting ideas/opinions for RNG seeding syntax Server Time
30 Jul 2024 14:24:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Requesting ideas/opinions for RNG seeding syntax
From: Kenneth
Date: 20 May 2009 02:45:01
Message: <web.4a13a5ea38187d7ef50167bc0@news.povray.org>
Alain <ele### [at] netscapenet> wrote:

> An option could be to do something similar to the noise generators. You can
> select witch one to use in the global_settings section, with a default one.
>
> It should be possible to add something like:
> random_gemerator 2
>
> The generator 1 would be the number 1, the actualy proposed one number 2, and
> there is room to add some other generators.

I like this idea as well--very simple. Although, I don't see how the more
complex random generators that Warp has mentioned would be able to be
incorporated in such a scheme, IF we continue to use just seed() with a single
value (as we do now.) I.e., how would seed(23) provide or access all the
multiple variables that have been discussed?

I tend to agree that just about any syntax for more complex seeding(s) would be
OK. Those of us that need a more complex random generator will learn it's
usage; those who just need a 'good' generator will stick with seed(23). I think
it boils down to who needs what: Scientists/cryptographers/experimenters will
likely welcome more complex seed algorithms; the typical POV 'artisan' (like
me) just needs a (better) random-number generator, simply an improvement over
what we have now, with the same easy-to-use syntax.

KW