POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : This term has always bothered me ... : Re: This term has always bothered me ... Server Time
6 Sep 2024 01:27:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: This term has always bothered me ...
From: Charles C
Date: 20 May 2009 01:15:00
Message: <web.4a13918c4bb4cbb1cac4259f0@news.povray.org>
Nicolas Alvarez <nic### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> Mike Raiford wrote:
> > Chambers wrote:
> >
> >> we're all just Americans (well, those of us in the US, I mean).
> >
> > I wish some people would see it that way... Indeed, we are simply that,
> > Americans. (Err, U.S.ians, but that sounds awkward :-D)
>
> Unitedstatians.

Yes

The term "American" has always bugged me when referring to citizenship of the
U.S. _of_ A.  I've always interpreted USA to mean "the united states that are
in America*" not "the states that unite to form America."  Therefore, the USA
by my interpretation** is a country without an easy one-word "name."  Somebody
living in Patagonia is an American.  Somebody living in Hawaii though is
American only in the informal sense, referring the the USA.

*aka "The Americas"

**"America" as a pair of continents, and only informally but very commonly used
to refer to a country.

Charles