POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Requesting ideas/opinions for RNG seeding syntax : Re: Requesting ideas/opinions for RNG seeding syntax Server Time
30 Jul 2024 08:14:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Requesting ideas/opinions for RNG seeding syntax
From: gregjohn
Date: 19 May 2009 18:30:00
Message: <web.4a13328238187d7e34d207310@news.povray.org>
Sounds like an excellent way of making povray more powerful without breaking the
old syntax.

I also think your philosophy is purely correct about erring on the side of
giving it more power. Giving povray a military-grade RNG may prevent some jerk,
five years from now, from complaining that it doesn't have such a quality RNG.

I sometimes wonder if there were a debate about giving us powerful tools like
the trace() function.  I could imagine someone saying, "povray is a raytracer,
not a modeler", so why would you give it functions that are properly handled in
the modeling software?