POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Science : Re: Science Server Time
6 Sep 2024 01:26:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Science
From: Kenneth
Date: 17 May 2009 04:25:01
Message: <web.4a0fc98cb34e56df50167bc0@news.povray.org>
Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:
> St. wrote:
>
> >    Erm, no, but while you're doing this experiment, tell me what the backup
> > tape is made of.
>
> Wikipedia suggests it might be Mylar (i.e., polyethylene terephthalate).
> I still don't know how to make it disolve though. So far we've tried:
>
> - Acetone
> - Hexane
> - Butyle acetate

If it's polyethylene of some sort, then it's practically indestructible! Well,
almost.

Looked up 'polyethylene' in wikipeadia; here's what it says:
"Polyethylene (other than cross-linked polyethylene) usually can be dissolved at
elevated temperatures in aromatic hydrocarbons such as toluene or xylene, or in
chlorinated solvents such as trichloroethane or trichlorobenzene."

Mmm, what yummy cancer-causing chemicals!

BTW, it also says that 60 million tons of polyethylene are produced each
year--so all of it will probabably still be around in landfills long after the
human race has died out!

KW