POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : puzzeld by ini file/ command line options : Re: puzzeld by ini file/ command line options Server Time
18 Jul 2024 08:16:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: puzzeld by ini file/ command line options
From: clipka
Date: 16 May 2009 12:50:00
Message: <web.4a0eedd99e8578878532ff9d0@news.povray.org>
"joost_1972" <joo### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> Working on animation (using the example in the tutorial), I bumpt into a problem
> with specifying and finding ini files. When I follow the tutorial and add POVRAY
> to the command line, I get an error message:
>
> Preset INI file is 'C:\PROGRAM FILES2\POV-RAY FOR WINDOWS
> V3.6\RENDERER\QUICKRES.INI', section is '[800x600, No AA]'.
> Preset source file is 'C:\Program Files2\POV-Ray for Windows
> v3.6\scenes\testfile.pov'.
> Rendering using command line 'POVRAY'.
> Could not find file 'POVRAY.ini'

This seems to me just a misunderstanding.

There are two ways to run POV-Ray specifying options:

(A) You can start POV-Ray, enter the options in the edit box to the right of the
resolution dropdown window, and click on the "Run" icon.

(B) You can open a Windows command prompt, and type "POVRAY" followed by the
options you want to specify, which will launch POV-Ray (provided you have set
the proper PATH environment variable or have navigated to the POV-Ray binary
directory).

I presume you chose variant (A), while the author of the tutorial you followed
may have presumed the use of variant (B).

Note that when you have an INI file open for editing in POV-Ray, you can just
click "Run" to have POV-Ray start it - you don't even need to specify its name
in that "command options" edit box.

You should save your own INI file in the same directory you saved your scene
file in.

Note however that if an option doesn't work in the "command options" edit box,
it is likely to fail in an INI file just the same.

> If I leave alone the ini files, and just add +kff20 to the command line, povray
> hangs itself...

.... which is definitely a bug. POV-Ray isn't supposed to hang; it should either
(a) do its job, or (b) abort rendering "gracefully" with a proper error message
(or, at worst, (c) terminate itself with a proper error message).