POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : POV-Ray 4 SDL: Some concrete proposal : Re: POV-Ray 4 SDL: Some concrete proposal Server Time
1 May 2024 20:51:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray 4 SDL: Some concrete proposal
From: clipka
Date: 15 May 2009 11:55:00
Message: <web.4a0d90493a7e550ef708085d0@news.povray.org>
"Allen" <bri### [at] yahoocom> wrote:
> My question would be, how to differentiate between creating an object or just
> declaring it.  Maybe a special function to add the object to the scene:
>
> add(sphere(
> ))

This seems unnecessarily cumbersome to me (like a few other details of your
suggestion)...

> or perhaps a special global object that if in the attributes would cause it not
> to be added to the scene list
>
> mysphere = sphere(..., nocreate)

.... while this seems to me like a conceptual kludge. I don't think it would be
wise starting a new SDL with kludges already. They tend to accumulate anyway
over time.

I also note that your variable-parameters approach relies heavily on individual
object classes doing parsing-related work. We would end up with much of the
parser de facto implemented in individual object classes, which would be prone
to making the language inhomogenous.

I think that instead, objects should just expose certain properties and
"actions" in a standardized manner, which the parser/runtime module should
"drive", with the objects being completely oblivious of the language's details.

Note that this idea includes a separation between the basic language syntax, and
the actual obejcts, properties and actions available.