POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Interesting dice problem : Re: Interesting dice problem Server Time
5 Sep 2024 21:27:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Interesting dice problem
From: Charles C
Date: 14 May 2009 15:15:01
Message: <web.4a0c6ca71d068a6acac4259f0@news.povray.org>
Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:
> I was so enthralled in writing about my idea that I forgot to mention one
> important detail:
>
>   Of course the idea in the problem is whether those things can be done
> *more efficiently* (ie. with less rounds) using rock-paper-scissors than
> by coin-tossing. (Since RPS is completely equivalent to coin-tossing, then
> all the problems can be solved in the exact same way as with coin-tossing,
> so the RPS element itself would become irrelevant in that way. However, the
> whole idea is whether there's a more efficient/faster way of solving the
> problems given that RPS is more complicated and has more options than
> coin-tossing.)
>
> --
>                                                           - Warp

I think coin tossing between two players has something inherently more efficient
than RPS.  Namely with RPS, there's no way to avoid ties where you have to re-do
the round.  With coin tossing, it doesn't really matter who calls it - it's
called before the toss and there is no tie short of the coin landing on its
edge.

Charles