POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Interesting dice problem : Re: Interesting dice problem Server Time
5 Sep 2024 21:24:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Interesting dice problem
From: Charles C
Date: 14 May 2009 15:05:00
Message: <web.4a0c6ae21d068a6acac4259f0@news.povray.org>
Still ignoring that RPS isn't completely random:  This wouldn't seem very
efficient to me but it's definitely possible to simulate a die with any number
of sides playing Rock-Paper-Scissors.  For each player generate a binary number
based on RPS wins or losses against any other person (opponent or not*).
Discard the entire set and re-do if the result is zero or exceeds the number of
die-sides simulated.

*An opponent's dice-rolling score must not be affected by your dice-rolling, nor
should your own second die be affected by your first, so a series of RPS rounds
must be played independently for each virtual "die".

For example, Player_A "rolls" a virtual six sided die by playing three rounds of
Rock-Paper-Scissors against  Player_B or anybody else, and takes that score if
the result is in the range 1 - 6.

On a somewhat different note, and actually a little more inefficient, I've
always liked the beauty of selecting between three items (or more by
elimination) using coin flips.  Flip a coin for each item, odd flip wins.  If
all three are the same, start over.

Charles