POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : help with illustration of brain injury : Re: help with illustration of brain injury Server Time
30 Jul 2024 14:19:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: help with illustration of brain injury
From: AcademicMedicine
Date: 13 May 2009 11:15:01
Message: <web.4a0ae31077a790464247e4e20@news.povray.org>
Dear all,

 Thank you very much for your replies. Jim thanks for your offer.
 Given the interest, I would like to be more specific about the elements
required.
 We do not need a full 3d model, especially not one that can be rotated. We need
a schematic picture only and we therefore only need to include anatomical
landmarks. If you are interested, have a look at the following link please:

http://www.merckmedicus.com/ppdocs/us/hcp/content/emed/Nervous/Brain_JPEGs/index.htm

If you look at the cross section on the slightly rotated picture, that is
already too detailed, but approximately what we are looking for.

In terms of anatomical detail, the illustration needs to identify the brain
hemispheres, the ventricles, the major blood vessels. It would be nice to put
this all into a schematic human head with schematic facial features and to
illustrate it using layer of section with partial transparency. I have the
picture in my head and I would be happy to draw it, scan it and post it as a
jpg to make things easier.

Regarding the motivation for this: I understand that a non-profit contribution
is not exactly tempting.
Personally, I do not get any salary for this project either, but the problem
that we are discussing is very relevant. Traumatic Brain Injury is one of the
leading causes of death and disability in young patients, particularly after
road traffic accidents. There are no pharmacological treatments available to
protect the brain function during recovery, however, there are multiple
scientific hypotheses of how this could be achieved. In order to proof or
refute these hypotheses the processes in patients need to be understood more
completely. Already, intensive care medicine is making use of a number of
techniques to monitor brain function after injury. Small tubes are placed in
the blood vessels and fluid filled spaces in the brain and we are also using
sequential imaging methods to get an idea of the time course of injury. The
picture discussed would illustrate those methods. Our hypothesis is that these
monitoring devices can be used to not only guide patient treatment, but to
extract data for a better understanding of the disease processes and treatment
options.
The publication will hopefully make a significant impact on this field of
medicine.

If you are still interested, please let me know your email address and I can
send a few drafts of the illustration. We can then discuss things further.

My email address is: tj212 (at) cam.ac.uk

Tobias