POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Bug tracker : Re: Bug tracker Server Time
5 Oct 2024 15:38:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bug tracker
From: clipka
Date: 9 May 2009 18:40:00
Message: <web.4a060555b29a72e9c5e517f90@news.povray.org>
"Kenneth" <kdw### [at] earthlinknet> wrote:
> One question: Is it OK to list *any* bugs that we come across (in versions 3.6
> or later, of course) regardless of whether they have been posted before?
> Because some 'bug reports' may have been mentioned only in various newsgroup
> threads, as discussions, rather than under the official 'bug reports' thread.
> Some of which may have escaped attention (although some may have already been
> fixed.) It would be great (and useful, IMO) to gather them all together under
> your new listing. Then you (and Clipka, etc.) can eliminate the ones that are
> redundant.

I guess it would be prudent to enter those "old" bugs in pretty much the same
way that "fresh" ones should be entered:

- Make a reasonable effort to check whether the bug is already listed in the
tracker tool (i.e. an "officially known" bug, so to speak).

- If it does not seem to be listed yet, enter it.

- If it is listed already, check whether "your" bug report contains additional
information; if so, add that to the existing bug description.

An occasional duplicate bug report won't really hurt of course, but should
remain an exception, so please do make some (reasonable) effort to avoid them in
the first place (especially since you never know who else might have skimmed the
very same newsgroup posts for bug reports already).