POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Post POV? : Re: Post POV? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 14:29:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Post POV?
From: Kenneth
Date: 6 May 2009 00:50:00
Message: <web.4a0115e64eec845cf50167bc0@news.povray.org>
On and off over the last couple of years, I've also thought of migrating to a
commercial, GUI-based program, one 'easier to use' (and without the little bugs
that can sometimes stop the creative process cold.) Lightwave and Cinema 4D have
always aroused my interest (although they probably have bugs of their own!) Yet,
like others here, I now 'think' in POV-Ray terms.  And the program is getting
easier to use--and more understandable--the more I work with it. In short, it
has become a familiar friend. And being able to code a scene from scratch is
just plain fascinating; I doubt that I would get the same mental satisfaction
from a GUI program. It's like an all-around, jack-of-all-trades tool--or a box
of shiny gadgets that can be assembled in just about any way imaginable--and I
feel I haven't even scratched the surface of what it can do.  And IMO, POV-Ray
can create imagery on a par with the best software out there. Perhaps a bit
more slowly--but I'm in no race to the finish line.

Oh, and it was free--a BIG point in its favor. (I just couldn't see forking over
$thousands for a commercial program that I would only be using on a hobbyist
basis. Not to put POV-Ray into a 'hobbyist' category--it's *certainly* capable
of producing beautiful, professional results.) Funny thing is, I can now afford
to buy a commercial package--but I really don't want to! The only limitations of
POV-Ray are my *own* limitations. I learn something new every time I use it.

Personally, I see POV-Ray as the "thinking man's" CGI program. (Or woman's!)

KW