POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Invitation for 3D Artists: Evolutions! Game : Re: Invitation for 3D Artists: Evolutions! Game Server Time
30 Jul 2024 08:29:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Invitation for 3D Artists: Evolutions! Game
From: Mike the Elder
Date: 5 May 2009 10:30:00
Message: <web.4a0042b41584828885627c70@news.povray.org>
"Sven Littkowski" <Sve### [at] Jamaica-Focuscom> wrote:
> Noooobody interested? Nobody curious? We are shocked! We thought the 3D
> artists of the POV-Ray community would be very interested to become part of
> the new game. We really need 3D artists...
>
> Please join.
>
> http://Evolutions.Jamaica-Focus.com/f

My reason for not responding at all to the first announcement is simple: I
missed it entirely (My bad.)

Although I find the project interesting, I'm not quite ready to shout "Sign me
up!" just yet.  I'm posting my questions and suggestions here rather than in
the "Evolutions" forum because I think it's reasonably likely that other
"POVers" might desire some of the same information and might be motivated to
volunteer depending upon the responses.

It's possible that some of the information that I'm asking for is already
available SOMEWHERE within the multiple web site links listed in the first
post... and that's where the "suggestion" part comes into play.  The main reason
that I'm not volunteering YET is that it's rather difficult to tell exactly what
I would be volunteering FOR.  It would be very helpful if there were a clear
concise page for potential volunteers that explained for each position the
short version of what has already been done and what needs to be done next.
With respect to graphics/3D art:

Is there an existing set of images (Master Book)that establishes a visual theme
and tone for purposes of project continuity? Are you looking for someone to
create one?

Assuming that a fairly large proportion of the artwork needed will take the form
of 3D models, have any parameters been established with respect to modeling
tools and file formats to be used?

This might sound like a "clever-donkey" question, but it isn't meant to be: How
close is this project to having enough commitments from enough skilled people
so that it can really be considered "a go" rather than just a neat idea.  I
realize it's a kind of chicken/egg situation... It would be easy to get a lot
of volunteers if we had a lot of volunteers. That's why I'm emphasizing the
need to create a clear and concise representation of both the project's vision
and status to be used in recruiting potential volunteers.

As for my own potential contribution, it's very possible that I would volunteer
to some graphic work if I had a specific request to respond to and enough
information to get right to work on it.  My own personal take on volunteering
for such projects is, in fact, remarkably simplistic: "Work good; Committee
bad."

So, what (specifically) might I do to help?

Best Regards,
Mike C.