POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Post POV? : Re: Post POV? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 08:17:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Post POV?
From: Trevor G Quayle
Date: 30 Apr 2009 12:30:00
Message: <web.49f9d1344eec845c81c811d20@news.povray.org>
"How Camp" <hac### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> I've been monitoring the POV-Ray newsgroups for nearly a decade, and I've seen a
> number of prolific users come and go.  I'm curious what software POV-Ray users
> tend to migrate toward after they 'move on'.  Do most convert to high-end
> render packages (I think H.E. Day did this), or is there another open-source
> package that eventually steals away the POV community?
>
> I wonder if such users 'outgrow' POV-Ray as an artistic tool, or whether they're
> mostly casualties of 'lack of time' syndrome (as I perpetually seem to be).
>
> (Not that I'm advocating such an evolution.  I've heard you can catch the H1N1
> flu if you don't use POV-Ray regularly...)

I've been using POV and involved here since around 1994 when I first discovered
it.  I'm fairly 'loyal' to POV: I like the flexibility, understand it's
modelling concept and like the programming aspect.  I haven't tried other
big-name renderers as I wouldn't find the same satisfaction in pushing a few
buttons to automatically create something.  I like to work at the base concepts
in POV and only really cheat when I need to.  A lot of the work I end up doing
in POV involves specifically using it's SDL programming capabilities which is
not as easily done in other systems.  I do occassionally use 3rd party
modellers to create meshes (mainly it's been TopMod abtract stuff, or using
aldready built mesh models for the purposes of lighting and texturing tests and
renders).

All that said, in the past year or so, I've only been lurking here and using POV
sporadically as a result of RL.  Two young kids and work tend to occupy a lot of
my time...

-tgq