POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : High rez versus high refresh... : Re: High rez versus high refresh... Server Time
5 Sep 2024 21:23:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: High rez versus high refresh...
From: Kenneth
Date: 23 Apr 2009 14:30:00
Message: <web.49f0b30c912b8313f50167bc0@news.povray.org>
Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:

>   Disadvantages of LCD (most of which are getting better as the technology
> advances):

> - Fixed resolution. Any alternative resolution has to be simulated by
>   scaling pixels, which may produce ugly results for resolutions and
>   aspect ratios which are not exact multiples of the resolution of the
>   display.

Yeah, that's a real bugger. One other nice thing about CRT monitors is that you
can 'squash and stretch' the screen display, to exactly (more or less) fill the
screen from corner to corner. (As opposed to CRT televisions, which--even with
the newer digital models, I think--still have that annoying 'overscan'
behavior, where we don't see ALL of the transmitted image. Mine does.) Of
course, LCD monitors and TVS don't even need squashing and stretching, since
(AFAIK) the input image is exactly mapped to all the screen pixels. Given their
fixed resolutions, of course.

Several years ago, my CRT computer monitor bit the dust, and I actually went
looking for an LCD replacement. Bought a Samsung model, brought it home, hooked
it up, ran a POV-Ray test scene--and I was shocked at how 'different' it looked.
I can't say better or worse, just different--not what I was used to. I *think*
it had to do with the 'system gamma' of the monitor, but not sure about that.
And even with adjustments, I still couldn't get it to look right. (Perhaps that
'older' LCD model lacked more modern adjustability, I don't know.)  In the end,
I took the thing back and got another CRT monitor. Have been happy ever since!

Oh, and it seems that 99.999% of the rabble don't even take the time to adjust
their new whiz-bang LCD/plasma/OLED widescreen displays, and happily watch
'fat' people on TV all day long, without a clue. Yes, technology can be
dangerous in the wrong hands! ;-)

KW