POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : SSLT & CSG Artefacts : Re: SSLT & CSG Artefacts Server Time
5 Oct 2024 15:35:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: SSLT & CSG Artefacts
From: clipka
Date: 17 Apr 2009 07:15:01
Message: <web.49e863f7375289def3bcbae60@news.povray.org>
Le_Forgeron <jgr### [at] freefr> wrote:
> A clear benefit for your coding and our brains, but that is not how CSG is going to
be
> used nowadays and in the futur.

If, as you concede, it is indeed a clear benefit not only for my coding but also
for your brains, then there's not much more argument to be made about it.

An easy-to-grasp concept reduces the instances of "duh, why does it behave
*this* way?"

And an easy-to-code concept reduces the instances of both "duh, when will SSLT
support CSG at last?" and later "duh, when will SSLT be fixed to work with this
special CSG case as well?"

Your intention may be to devise a sophisticated rule-set for interaction between
SSLT and CSG that will catch all possible current and future uses of CSG to
allow for using SSLT materials in each and every case, and achieve exactly the
desired effect both regarding the CSG and the SSLT.

My intention is to devise a basic rule-set for interaction between SSLT and CSG
to easily and consistently allow for CSG-modelling of SSLT-enabled objects.

Because my intention is to implement such support in due time and due quality,
so that people toying around with SSLT are no longer restricted to primitives,
blobs and meshes.

SSLT will remain experimental, and so will the integration into the CSG
framework. More sophisiticated rules may well follow later, once SSLT as a
whole closes in on maturity. I don't really expect this to happen too soon.

> As a final note, I would be happy if the SSLT CSG-handling was able to deal natively
with
> my personal extension of csg: intermerge & interunion (parametrized n-ary operations
of
> +/- based on number of components matched, very useful to make stellated polyhedrons
but
> also thinks like gears without multiplying the number of basic objects, see them in
French
> at http://jgrimbert.free.fr/pov/patch/inter.html )

I don't really have much of an idea what you're talking about, but I'd be
interested to hear about this concept. Though, currently, definitely not in the
context of SSLT: There's still too many other open issues to work on.