POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : POV-Ray 4 SDL: Some concrete proposal : Re: POV-Ray 4 SDL: Some concrete proposal Server Time
5 May 2024 12:01:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray 4 SDL: Some concrete proposal
From: MessyBlob
Date: 16 Apr 2009 20:50:00
Message: <web.49e7d18c3a7e550eaddfbead0@news.povray.org>
"clipka" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> In our language, a block like
> [...]
> Now if in a later version of POV, "sphere" would ever happen to get an
> additional property named "i" or "temp", it would break a whole lot of scripts,
> like:
>
> i = 0;
> MySphere = sphere {
>   center = x*i;
>   radius = temp;
> };

You'd probably want new object properties to be write-only, so that names to the
right of assignments in the "sphere { }" block can then refer to the outer scope
(which makes the above code work as expected).

I'm not sure if any languages or parsers do this by default, but if your need is
great enough, then of course it could be programmed :o)