POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Emacs : Re: Emacs Server Time
28 Sep 2024 22:19:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Emacs
From: Bill Pragnell
Date: 15 Apr 2009 05:40:00
Message: <web.49e5ab1ebe8f6db96dd25f0b0@news.povray.org>
Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:
> > Screenshots don't show functionality.
>
> No, but they do show me that the UI looks utterly horrid.

It does strike me as a little odd to criticise emacs for having an ugly UI... I
realise that visual icing sells products, but you wouldn't complain that a
command shell has an ugly UI. It's like not buying a car because you don't like
the layout of the engine bay.

> Er, no... HOW DO YOU TYPE THAT? What buttons is it actually telling you
> to press?

C = ctrl

> About the most convincing justification I could find was "it has
> millions of tiny features that together add up to something special". Of
> course, you'd have to use it for 20 years to find out of that's actually
> true or not...

Well, I've been using it at work for about 6 months, and while I've not really
altered it from our default config I am starting to like it. It's main
advantage as far as I can see is the degree to which it can be customised -
basically, you can build your own text editor based on what commands/keystrokes
you prefer to work with.

I must have a pick over Warp's comprehensive and most useful-looking config
file... :-)