POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : AOI pattern : Re: AOI pattern Server Time
5 Oct 2024 15:18:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: AOI pattern
From: Edouard
Date: 14 Apr 2009 21:25:00
Message: <web.49e536e11145890973e4b1460@news.povray.org>
Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:
> Christian Froeschlin <chr### [at] chrfrde> wrote:
> > As an aside, it was noted that the AOI pattern as well as the slope
> > pattern do not react to transformations in an intuitive manner (the
> > directional component remains unchanged by the transformation).
>
>   I can understand why it would be desirable for the slope pattern to
> be transformed regularly with the texture transformations because the
> slope pattern is not view-dependent, but local to the object space.
> (For example, if you apply a slope pattern to a heightfield to eg.
> make a snow/ground texture, you probably want it to look the same
> even if you rotate the heightfield, as if the slope pattern was a
> regular texture applied to the heightfield.)
>
>   However, angle-of-incidence is *by definition* a view-dependent pattern.
> In other words, it changes depending on where the object is looked from.
> That's the very definition of "angle of incidence".
>
>   Thus I would expect for it to work always the same way regardless of
> how the object is transformed. In other words, I expect it to solely
> depend on the viewing direction (with respect to the normal of the
> surface), not the orientation of the object.

I agree with you in principle.

On the other hand, people often find innovative uses for features in other
situations than the primary intended one. It's a shame to reduce creative
possibilities for that kind of experimentation.

On the other other hand, if it's hard to make it more general, I'm completely
happy for it to act as it does now - it's utility is obvious from the usage the
feature has received in Megapov. Better in for 95% of use-cases, than out for
100%.

Cheers,
Edouard.