POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Rendering colors outside of RGB space : Re: Rendering colors outside of RGB space Server Time
30 Jul 2024 16:22:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Rendering colors outside of RGB space
From: MessyBlob
Date: 14 Apr 2009 08:45:00
Message: <web.49e484fe469723b6addfbead0@news.povray.org>
"scott" <sco### [at] scottcom> wrote:
> > Values for RGB are about responses to light in three frequency ranges.
> Note that allowing negative values in RGB is not the same as allowing a
> negative brightness.  RGB of (-1,0,-1) doesn't make much physical sense, but
> (-5,100,-5) might correctly describe the colour of a green LED.

It's possible that overlaps between different colours' response profiles might
leave one feeling that a source peak has been represented with inappropriate
compensate for that. Green LED might be a good example, because, despite being
monochrome, it might attract weak responses from red or blue, in which case,
you change the response profiles, rather than mess about with negative numbers.
(?)