POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : sstl: mm_per_unit, units : Re: sstl: mm_per_unit, units Server Time
5 Oct 2024 15:29:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: sstl: mm_per_unit, units
From: MessyBlob
Date: 11 Apr 2009 20:40:01
Message: <web.49e1374dc7f0d156addfbead0@news.povray.org>
"StephenS" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> I've made a simple scene based on the subsurface.pov. When I use mm_per_units
> 0.82, the scene takes about 4sec. When I use 0.81 the scene takes much longer,
> more than 10 min, will run it longer tomorrow. Cancelling the render with the
> stop icon, POV-Ray says it stoped. Exiting POV-Ray then gives a runtime error
> popup window.

I've had this too, with low values of mm_per_unit.
Typical behaviour is that all the info to the Message window has been displayed,
but then that the Stop/Start icon is ghosted, and does not return to showing the
'Start' state.

Here's some guesswork:

It looks like a hanging thread, but it could also be an errant loop exit
condition, or memory mangement problem caused within the SSLT routine. I
typically only get the error either (a) when I terminate the final trace (I
don't understand that), or (b) when one of the threads hangs when pretracing
(makes me think that SSLT sampling might have a problem with some special cases
of geometry shape).