POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : Next Generation SDL: What's wrong with Lua, JavaScript, ... : Re: Next Generation SDL: What's wrong with Lua, JavaScript, ... Server Time
28 Apr 2024 23:17:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Next Generation SDL: What's wrong with Lua, JavaScript, ...
From: clipka
Date: 11 Apr 2009 08:45:01
Message: <web.49e08fe7e7a64ad819d16df90@news.povray.org>
"MessyBlob" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> > I do not know any single scripting language providing syntactical sugar to
> > express exactly that in a concise manner - or at least providing a mechanism
> > that can be exploited to that end.
>
> Anything that uses namespaces or class methods (or class qualifiers) would do
> this. You might require that scripts use qualifiers though, unless you can make
> the parser element automatically prioritise class scopes based on the innermost
> container.

.... which is exactly my point: I think a next generation POV SDL should do this.
But I've never seen it in any language before.

Not in a small, concise language, that is. Note that POV's current SDL has it -
but at the cost of being context-sensitive about everything, without a clear
formal concept behind it: The language just happened to have grown that way.