POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : Next Generation SDL Brainstorming : Re: Next Generation SDL Brainstorming Server Time
15 Jun 2024 04:47:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Next Generation SDL Brainstorming
From: MessyBlob
Date: 10 Apr 2009 22:25:01
Message: <web.49dffe35ad594047addfbead0@news.povray.org>
SharkD <mik### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> Anything C-like (such as JavaScript) would also be OK.

I'd agree: JavaScript might be the right balance between popularity,
accessibility, and capability.

You might be able to draw upon the existing experience and projects that already
use JavaScript. For example (and these are wild examples), JIT compilers,
already-solved problems with parsing, scope, and OO (or variants thereof).

We'd then need to decide the object model.

Would we have POV-Ray JavaScript just as a SDL, or would it also containin the
rendering instructions (like PostScript says 'showpage' to print, or OpenGL's
control over rendering)? If so, then we'd enjoy lots of extra functionality,
but we'd need to lock it down against potentially malicious third-party
scripts.