POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Canon PowerShot A40: WinXP, WinVista, KUBUNTU! : Re: Canon PowerShot A40: WinXP, WinVista, KUBUNTU! Server Time
5 Sep 2024 23:14:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Canon PowerShot A40: WinXP, WinVista, KUBUNTU!
From: gregjohn
Date: 9 Apr 2009 19:15:01
Message: <web.49de8105111abe9472e64ba0@news.povray.org>
"scott" <sco### [at] scottcom> wrote:
> > I've always had trouble with Canon software/drivers working on my XP/Vista
> > boxes. I gave up and bought a generic USB card reader. I pop the memory
> > stick
> > out of the camera into the reader and cut and paste all image files into a
> > folder on the PC just using Windows Explorer. It frees the memory on the
> > stick
> > for more photos at the same time.
>
> Just to balance the responses here, I have not had any problems connecting
> my G7, 300D or 450D to both XP and Vista boxes, for transferring
> photos/videos, remote capture and remote live view.  Saying that I still use
> a USB card reader most of the time though, don't know why, probably because
> I don't want any silly Canon software trying to automate the downloading of
> my images.

To some degree, these data are like that Dilbert cartoon where an iron girder
has fallen on one employee's head, and Catbert responds, "No one else is
complaining."

I became an exclusive customer of  Canon because its cameras were working
automatically with Windows' Camera and Scanner Wizard.  I guess I'm sort of
religiously opposed to installing new apps for a USB device, but in this case I
couldn't even get new working software for the A40 off the web.

My hypothesis is that a combination of very old camera and newly updated Win OS
doesn't work. I have a camera that worked flawlessly on a laptop when Kubuntu
was the OS, but failed with WinXP. The camera also failed on a Vista box.