POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Povray Progress : Re: Povray Progress Server Time
5 Oct 2024 15:01:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Povray Progress
From: clipka
Date: 9 Apr 2009 06:50:01
Message: <web.49ddd2d3ce34f707b06defeb0@news.povray.org>
"Carlo C." <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> Another question, clipka. :-)
> You think that is useful to work around a "count", like Megapov, to understand,
> to offer the possibility *count > 1600* (with sample statement)?
> Or you think that it is not necessary?

I think that the question is moot, and that the whole fixed-count approach is a
dead-end road. My vision is an adaptive sampling, based on both the brightness
actually encountered (like the adaptive algorithms used for area lights or
anti-aliasing) and hints from the scene designer (like the "portals" in MCPov).

As far as fixed-count sampling goes, I think it makes sense to ditch the currend
sampling pattern altogether, and instead implement an algorithm that computes a
suitable pattern at startup based on the chosen count - which then would
basically have no upper limit.

Unfortunately, there does not seem to be any documentation about how the current
fixed sampling pattern was generated.

However, there are still a number of things that rank higher on the radiosity
agenda; load_file/save_file for instance, which is still out of order; and some
old kludges in the algorithm I want to get rid of.