POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : Next Generation SDL Brainstorming : Re: Next Generation SDL Brainstorming Server Time
28 Jun 2024 21:34:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Next Generation SDL Brainstorming
From: clipka
Date: 9 Apr 2009 06:25:00
Message: <web.49ddcc4dad594047b06defeb0@news.povray.org>
"MessyBlob" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> The problem is that you can't do trace() or inside() on an object that has not
> yet been placed, but when it has been placed, it is a permanent placement.
> Conversely, if you place an object, and then as a result of trace(), decide you
> don't want that object to be placed, you can't then remove it. OO would solve
> this, in that the object would be referencable after placement, and deleted (or
> modified).

??? Actually trace() and inside() *only* work on #declared objects, and do so
independently on whether you have already "invoked" them into the scene or not.

#undefining such an object even clears up the memory again, and right before
rendering all "non-invoked" objects are ditched automatically.

> > POV simply cannot really compute overlapping, for reasons of its very basic
> > design.
>
> I knew it was difficult, if not impossible on complicated objects (without some
> serious mesh work) so I was throwing this hat in the ring to challenge the
> existing design. Fair enough, I don't mind it being squashed if it's a no-goer.

I don't think the very fundamental basics of POV would be open for debate. Even
*if* POV 4 would be a complete re-write (which I currently doubt), it would be
based on the very same principle for geometric representation. To me there is
not the slightest doubt about that.

(The main motivation for this complete-rewrite thing, as it appears to me, were
legal issues with an intended license switch, but I gather these have been
addressed by now for most parts of the code.)