POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.bugreports : min_extent () & max_extent () : Re: min_extent () & max_extent () Server Time
15 May 2024 19:33:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: min_extent () & max_extent ()
From: clipka
Date: 8 Apr 2009 11:35:00
Message: <web.49dcc3412b53252cf3b4f0@news.povray.org>
"Stephen Klebs" <skl### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> Cylinders
> created along an axis and then transformed otherwise keep the accurate
> orthogonal dimensions of the bounding box.

Not necessarily. Try

    cylinder { <0,0,0>, <0,1,0>, 1
        rotate z*45
        rotate y*45
    }

for instance. This, too, will have some "bounding slack".

> It seems that a correcting function could be applied to this discrepancy.

I guess that would only be possible if the "slanted" cylinder wasn't represented
by a "unit cylinder" + initial transformation, bacause if the user adds its own
transformation later, they're merged witth the initial transformation and it's
impossible from then on to tell them apart. And with a user-supplied
transformation, this could basically be any linear transform, including severe
skewing and such. I wouldn't want to be the one to put this all in a simple
correcting function.

The current approach isn't ideal, but it works, and is easy to understand (from
a software development point of view).