POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.bugreports : min_extent () & max_extent () : Re: min_extent () & max_extent () Server Time
15 May 2024 06:04:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: min_extent () & max_extent ()
From: Stephen Klebs
Date: 8 Apr 2009 10:20:00
Message: <web.49dcb1ca2b53252cfc413f510@news.povray.org>
Thanks, clipka

So for min_extent/max_extent a cylinder/cone is treated as a box. This would
account for the result for min_extent (Cylinder2).z = -1.4, since that is half
the height of a diagonal of a bounding box of a cylinder with radius = 1 when
rotated by an angle, in my instance, atan(4/3). I should have guessed
since the Ray->Shape Intersection output in the message window for the
two cylinders actually describes 1 Cone/Cylinder and 1 Box. Cylinders
created along an axis and then transformed otherwise keep the accurate
orthogonal dimensions of the bounding box.

It seems that a correcting function could be applied to this discrepancy.