POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Can you solve Magnatune's problems? : Can you solve Magnatune's problems? Server Time
5 Sep 2024 23:18:00 EDT (-0400)
  Can you solve Magnatune's problems?
From: gregjohn
Date: 8 Apr 2009 09:45:00
Message: <web.49dca9dc74eeaa1472e64ba0@news.povray.org>
Disclaimer: I have nothing to do with Magnatune other than being an infrequent
customer.

In the blog (
http://blogs.magnatune.com/buckman/2008/11/reassuring-my-musicians.html ) of
the founder of Magnatune founder John Buckman, he indicates they have a
financial problem. Many people are coming to the site to hear music, but not
many (1/150) are buying music, compared to the 1 in 32 when he started.

My analysis: his problem is that he's giving away "bandwidth" too freely, even
if he's appropriately giving away "the music" under voluntary pricing or
creative commons licenses.  I admire the humanitarian & political implications
of his desire not to be "evil" in his pricing schemes. Is there a way to
accomplish this in a business setting, to let people experience the music,
without giving away the store in bandwidth?