POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Radiosity and SMP : Re: Radiosity and SMP Server Time
5 Oct 2024 15:29:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Radiosity and SMP
From: clipka
Date: 7 Apr 2009 00:40:00
Message: <web.49dad7f470f61477c28d169c0@news.povray.org>
"MessyBlob" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> Good advice, which I was 'bending' to make the render fit in memory: I think I'm
> making radiosity work too hard, with 'normal on', and using a crackle pattern as
> modifier to an implicit surface.

How's performance when replacing that cracke with some other pattern, e.g. bozo?

I'd really expect the trouble to be there:

- The crackle cache has been changed from beta.31 to beta.32

- The crackle cache is global to all threads IIUC, so heavy crackle use may
cause stalls as threads compete for access

- Radiosity may contribute to heavy crackle use due to the sheer number of rays
shot; with "normals on" and crackle used for normals, it may even "focus" the
workload on the parts using the crackle due to a higher number of radiosity
samples required there

- The crackle cache using some sophisticated algorithm for memory allocation,
any bug in there may well cause memory leaks, or crashes in an attempt to free
non-allocated memory.