POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : 3.7 SMP documentation : Re: 3.7 SMP documentation Server Time
28 Jul 2024 12:22:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 3.7 SMP documentation
From: MessyBlob
Date: 6 Apr 2009 17:15:01
Message: <web.49da6ff94bf05309addfbead0@news.povray.org>
"clipka" wrote:
> [radiosity]
> ... (although it seems difficult to achieve full 100% reproducibility) ...

Possibly the only truly reprocucible (and thread-safe) way is to iteratively
process the whole scene, all threads working on the same iteration, then
waiting for all threads to stop before moving on to the next iteration. One
might need to back-propagate results (Iteration 1: depth 1; iteration 2: depth
2,1; iteration 3: depth 3,2,1; etc.)

I realise this largely prevents optimised and dynamic sampling, but it's safe.
I've not done any analysis on how efficient it would be. On the other hand,
maybe it's possible to add a little bit of dynamic radiosity data: when there's
an integrity clash, add the data, and then 'rewind' the older thread to use the
new data. Only works with small additions at a time, to avoid circular
triggering of the 'rewind'.

Hoping the above might provide some ideas, assuming I've not completely
misunderstood the problem.