POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : windows beta 32: an access violation error? : Re: windows beta 32: an access violation error? Server Time
5 Oct 2024 15:15:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: windows beta 32: an access violation error?
From: clipka
Date: 6 Apr 2009 08:50:01
Message: <web.49d9f9a5710555cf2983f9e20@news.povray.org>
> Carlo C. wrote:
> > I have tried to change the "subsurface.pov" file in POV-Ray and I tried to save.
> > ....A window alert:
> >
> >    * An access violation exception was generated at address 0x10008455 *
> >
> > I have Windows XP SP3, POV-Ray beta 32, 32 bit no-SSE2 (pvengine.exe)
>
> Strange ... I get "cannot overwrite read-only file" in both Vista and XP (I
> have code in the editor that explicitly catches this issue: or so it is
> supposed to do).
>
> Can anyone else replicate this?

When running POV from the Visual Studio IDE, I keep getting access violations
when attempting to write to a file currently being parsed, or write protected,
like:

Unhandled exception at 0x03258455 in pvengine32d.exe: 0xC0000005: Access
violation reading location 0x00000000.

So far I didn't bother about them, as I just considered them some effect of
working in the IDE.

These asserts seem to happen deep in the bowels of Windows, somewhere during the
execution of handle_main_command(), but the exact location seems to vary. Right
now, I have it jam in the "NotifyModifiedChange" case - obviously because "s"
is pointing to 0x00000001.

However, it seems that the assert is not necessarily related to the write
attempt as such: When I open a write-protected file, then modify it, and then -
without saving - just switch focus to the IDE, I get a crash as well (in this
case in EditPassOnMessage()).

To me, this look suspiciously like a pointer already going wild much earlier,
when loading the write-protected file in the first place.