POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Modelling the Earth's shape : Re: Modelling the Earth's shape Server Time
30 Jul 2024 10:19:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Modelling the Earth's shape
From: clipka
Date: 6 Apr 2009 08:05:00
Message: <web.49d9eec38bccb8c32983f9e20@news.povray.org>
Jellby <me### [at] privacynet> wrote:
> I'm interested in modelling a "realistic" shape of our planet. With this I
> mean basically a sphere (or spheroid) with a surface displacement matching
> elevation/relief data. [...]
>
> Any thoughts? Other solutions? Fixes for HF_Sphere?

For a truly *realistic* shape, just use a plain sphere and bump mapping - you'll
not notice the difference anyway. We're talking about roughly 1.4/1000th of the
radius.

If you need to zoom in to such a scale that size does matter, you may want to go
for a classic height field based on a subsection of the image.