POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Suggestion to collect funds for The POV-Team : Re: Suggestion to collect funds for The POV-Team Server Time
6 Sep 2024 05:15:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Suggestion to collect funds for The POV-Team
From: Kenneth
Date: 3 Apr 2009 00:40:01
Message: <web.49d5924923b79c8cf50167bc0@news.povray.org>
Saul Luizaga <sau### [at] netscapenet> wrote:

> I simply find it not fair at all POV-Ray not being donationware.

Those are my sentiments, too. The program is *so* amazing (and I spend so much
wonderful time at it) that I would like to donate as well. Yet I see the
logistical problems that have been mentioned here (who to give it to, how it
would be distributed among POV-team members past and present, etc.)

But one thing hasn't been mentioned yet: Say one of us writes a piece of
commercial software that incorporates POV-Ray as its "rendering engine" (or
whatever.) If I'm not mistaken, there are legal mechanisms already in place
whereby the "POV-Ray entity" (corporation, or whatever it is) profits from that
in some way. So it seems to me that there might be some kind of monetary
distribution scheme already in place, re: the development team. IF so, I can't
see how voluntary donations would be much different from that, insofar as how
the donations might be distributed.

KW