POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : APIs first? : Re: APIs first? Server Time
6 Sep 2024 07:17:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: APIs first?
From: clipka
Date: 2 Apr 2009 07:55:00
Message: <web.49d4a77ecd1f6b8ff708085d0@news.povray.org>
Nicolas Alvarez <nic### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> Darren New wrote:
> > http://asserttrue.blogspot.com/2009/04/api-first-design.html
> >
> > Huh? Doesn't everyone document the APIs before they start writing code
> > that
> > exports APIs?  Seriously, don't you programmers do that?
> >
> > I can't imagine how you can even know when you're done a piece of the
> > library if you didn't do the documentation first. I thought that was,
> > like, the only way to do it.
>
> I spent weeks deciding on the API, some more weeks deciding on internal
> design, and I've yet to write any *real code* for this one library... :)

From my experience, a *typical* real-life working mode would be to

(1) design and (optionally) document the API
(2) design and (optionally) document the internal design, modifying the API as
problems with the internal design arise
(3) write the real code, modifying both the internal design and API as problems
with the real code arise
(4) start working on a new project
(5) (optionally) document the changes made to the API in phases (2) and (3)
(6) (optionally) document the changes made to the internal design in phase (3)