POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : How to access the value for the final frame of an animation, the kff value : Re: How to access the value for the final frame of an animation, the kff v= Server Time
30 Jul 2024 10:11:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How to access the value for the final frame of an animation, the kff v=
From: gregjohn
Date: 2 Apr 2009 07:30:00
Message: <web.49d4a116cf786ab034d207310@news.povray.org>
"Kenneth" <kdw### [at] earthlinknet> wrote:
> Which means the final frame IS the final_frame number, no matter
> what total clock duration you specify.

no.

Render just a few frames of any scene with this settings:
+fn  +kff1920  +stp5 +sf210 +ef800

And this SDL in it:
#debug "clock " #debug str(clock,4,3)
#debug "  seconds " #debug str(frame_number/24,4,2)
#debug " frame " #debug str(frame_number,5,0)
#debug "  ff/24 " #debug str(final_frame,4,2)
#debug "\n"

You'll see that POV-Ray 3.6 (and MegaPOV) have perverted the meaning of
"final_frame" to mean not the last frame in your whole animation but rather the
last frame in that-which-you-choose-to-render-right-now.

I set up several routines, from walking to blinking, to be based on the
final_frame.  In this way I can use the code interchangeably between projects
without worrying over whether the animation were 10 frames or 1000-- the
character will walk or blink at a reasonable rate.  If I want a robot to walk at
a reasonable pace no matter what the project, I can base its movement on
final_frame.   To me, final_frame has great value if it were in fact === to the
value of the  +kff switch.

Q: Is there a way to access to value of the +kff switch in povray?

I'm trying to imagine the number of scenarios where final_frame = +ef, and the
number are quite few and seem to provide trivial benefit to the user.  Perhaps
I'm complaining about the design rationale of something that's been there from
the start, but it bugs me.