POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Procedural texture / Special Effect (Help please?) : Re: Procedural texture / Special Effect (Help please?) Server Time
30 Jul 2024 10:15:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Procedural texture / Special Effect (Help please?)
From: Kenneth
Date: 31 Mar 2009 04:45:01
Message: <web.49d1d7b3d410c5f3f50167bc0@news.povray.org>
"Anthony D. Baye" <Sha### [at] spamnomorehotmailcom> wrote:
> I'm trying to create a special effect for a model I'm working on.  The material
> would be a semi-transparent white stone (with falloff) with micro-crystalline
> inclusions that shift color with the angle and perhaps form geometric patterns.

I have a pretty good mental picture of what you're trying to create; I think
I've seen a mineral sample of a similar kind at one of the Smithsonian museums
in Washington, D.C.

The only suggestion I can think of is to check out the irid keyword at "3.5.3.6
Iridescence" in the docs, along with irid_wavelength in global_settings. That
*might* produce the shifting color effect you mention, if applied to a
crystal-like surface.

Ken W.