POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : Next Generation SDL Brainstorming : Re: Next Generation SDL Brainstorming Server Time
1 Jul 2024 00:36:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Next Generation SDL Brainstorming
From: moppel
Date: 31 Mar 2009 04:20:01
Message: <web.49d1d1d9ad5940478b1036940@news.povray.org>

"clipka" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> * Multithreading Support
> POV is going multithreaded. An SDL that allows to multithread parts or maybe
> even all of the parsing would be of benefit there. This might be particularly
> of importance for animations.

Actually, for animations it's not really so important. When rendering an
animation, you can just run several instances of Povray, each rendering a
different part of the animation. That's what I'm doing.

I only would have one feature request regarding animations: Please add a
"DoNotRenderAgain"-Option or so such that frames are only rendered when the
output file doesn't already exist. Otherwise, you always have to adjust the
Subset_Start_Frame and Subset_End_Frame values in the .ini file when you quit
Povray and restart again, which is inconvenient. It would also make it a lot
easier to run several Povray instances to render one animation.

> * Object Orientation
> [and lots of other things]

Ambition is fine... But ambitious updates tend to harm the product when the
users have to wait for years for the next update. Better take smaller steps,
IMO.

> * Vector and Color functions
>
> Being unable to use vectors within functions sucks.

YES! This would be the #1 thing I'd like to have improved.

Cheers,
Burkhard