POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : ISS construction photos : Re: ISS construction photos Server Time
6 Sep 2024 11:19:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: ISS construction photos
From: clipka
Date: 30 Mar 2009 22:20:00
Message: <web.49d17d3f3c1bb33e2f4aa4190@news.povray.org>
"triple_r" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> > Things like this always make me want to write excessively large posts about
> > every tiny detail in them - but what good would it do?
>
> Oops.  Maybe you should heed that notion.  It was only intended as
> entertainment, not trolling...

No problem, I sure was aware of the fact.

Just jumped on the occasion to let some steam off for which I never found the
right place before (and for which this forum, of course, is not the the right
place either, as I bet we don't have many people here doubting the lunar
landings -but what the heck... sometimes a man's gotta say what a man's gotta
say, no matter where he is ;))

> > True. But rocket scientists of that time did not depend on computers.
>
> Yeah I have one of those Dover textbooks on orbital dynamics.  A large portion
> of it is obsolete high-order approximations because these days you can either
> integrate it numerically or use a program someone else has developed.  A bit of
> a lost art, really.

.... which, I guess, may be the reason why NASA can't just simply build a few
Saturn V again and burn off the fireworks.

Nobody on the world would know how to operate that outdated once-high-tech these
days.

> The sign of an idiot conspiracy-theorist is that they find fault with
> *everything*.  Not just on one topic either.  Conspiracy is a lens through
> which they view the whole world.

There's one word for it: Paranoia.

The official definition of which is not that a person fears everyone and
everythig, but more generally that he tries to relate everything he percieves
to one central idea.

Which *can* be the idea that "they" are out to get him, of course.

I once read an article by someone who did some maths on the lunar lander fuel
capacity and such; he went into great detail about how he asked some
information from a university professor while avoiding any hint that he might
be after the Apollo project - because of course all university professors would
be briefed to not tell the truth about anything related to the Apollo program...

.... heck, he didn't even give that professor a *chance* to try convince him
where his math was systematically wrong - all out of sheer... well, Paranoia.

If you don't *want* to believe, you can always construct a theory that will
allow you not to.

---
Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're *not* out to get you...