POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : ISS construction photos : Re: ISS construction photos Server Time
6 Sep 2024 09:17:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: ISS construction photos
From: triple r
Date: 30 Mar 2009 15:20:00
Message: <web.49d11a3d3c1bb33e91f1ef540@news.povray.org>
"clipka" <nomail@nomail> wrote:

> Things like this always make me want to write excessively large posts about
> every tiny detail in them - but what good would it do?

Oops.  Maybe you should heed that notion.  It was only intended as
entertainment, not trolling...

> True. But rocket scientists of that time did not depend on computers.

Yeah I have one of those Dover textbooks on orbital dynamics.  A large portion
of it is obsolete high-order approximations because these days you can either
integrate it numerically or use a program someone else has developed.  A bit of
a lost art, really.

> "How did Americans in 1969 do what nobody can do today?"

We saw an astronaut from this era talk for quite a while on this point.  Safety
is a big issue.  When it's a god-given mission to put a man on the moon, risk
is irrelevant.  It doesn't mean they weren't careful, but they were willing to
risk their lives in a way you just can't get away with these days.

The sign of an idiot conspiracy-theorist is that they find fault with
*everything*.  Not just on one topic either.  Conspiracy is a lens through
which they view the whole world.  If you find one really intriguing point of
contention, fine.  I'll listen and consider it critically.  But if it's clear
you're only out to ruffle some feathers, I have more important things to do.  I
enjoyed Neil deGrasse Tyson talking about UFO's.  If all people can do is poke
around and find a million tiny little arguments or blurry photos, he doesn't
bother listening.

 - Ricky